|Khanderao Market was built in memory of Maharaja Khanderao Gaekwad II, the foster father of Sayajirao Gaekwad III, in 1906-1907. Khanderao Gaekwad was Maharaja of Baroda from 1856 to 1870. The market was built by Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III in 1906 and presented by him as a gift to the municipality to mark the Silver Jubilee of his administration. R.F. Chisholm was the architect.
Khanderao Market is located close to the Laxmi Vilas Palace on the Chamrajendra Waddiyar Road (the road named after the Mysore Maharaja who had visited Baroda State).
The building now houses the Vadodara Municipal Corporation office, a vegetable and fruit market and a bank. The entrance of each is breathtakingly beautiful with carved arches, designer balconies with engravings that can rarely be seen in a marketplace. Closer to the roof of the central arch, one can read ‘The Khanderao Market’ written in English as well as Marathi next to the roof clock that is still functional.
A statue of Khanderao Gaekwad II made by V.P. Karmarkar from Mumbai was placed on the premises in 1934. Surrounding it are gardens and fountains that lend the place a look of leisure.
There is a large but defunct fountain at the centre of the vegetable market.